Trust equals money, annual AMAA research reveals
The latest third-party annual research conducted on behalf of AMAA shows media channel trust is a key influencer in media investment, with 86% of industry respondents agreeing that where there is trust, there is more willingness to spend.
The Trust Equation study also revealed that 8 in10 marketers and media agencies prioritise media channels that supply transparent, audited data.
“Trust is the invisible thread that influences media buying decisions. Advertising trading doesn’t run solely on analytics and money – it also runs on trust. The 310 marketers and media professionals who completed our survey provided feedback on the issues affecting trust levels and how the industry can step up to collectively address them,” AMAA CEO Josanne Ryan said.
Whilst proof of performance and cross-media audience metrics remained the top two industry concerns, awareness of Ad Fraud increased more than any other industry issue – up 17% year-on-year to 44%. And it is independent industry bodies that should be taking the lead with solutions according to 72% of respondents.
When it comes to digital channels, there was an across-the-board increase in the desire for more industry oversight to build trust– the highest ranked were programmatic trading, social media, online video/streaming and mobile.
The impetus for increased programmatic trading transparency is intensified with the survey indicating that more than half of online media will be bought programmatically within three years.
Programmatic is clearly on the radar of agencies, with a much higher proportion of agency respondents - 80% compared to 32% of marketers - indicating that this channel needs to build trust.
The industry also recognised the role of marketers as the leaders of change with three-quarters of respondents agreeing that the industry issues of transparency and accountability need their focus.
- Trust = Money with 86% of respondents agreeing ‘where there is trust, there is more willingness to spend’;
- Verification is at the heart of the trust equation as 80% prioritised transparent, audited channels;
- Programmatic and ocial Media are identified as being the channes most in need of oversight to build trust with Social Media rising the most - up 32% year-on-year;
- In terms of areas the industry needs to address; Proof of Performance and Cross-Media Measurement remain the top priorities but Ad Fraud recorded the biggest increase - up 17% year-on-year to 44%;
- 72% agreed industry bodies should be driving industry solutions to address ad fraud;
- In terms of potential governance frameworks to assist the industry, 89% rated as important industry certification of programmatic desks and ad exhcanges as meeting best practice;
- 75% agree the issues the industry faces in transparency and accountability will only get fixed if marketers push for it
The study was conducted by independent research company The Insights Grill via an online survey of 310 marketers and media agency professionals during February-March 2017.
The mix of respondents was 45% clients and 55% media agency with 54% in digitally focused roles.
The AMAA is providing presentations to the industry of The Trust Equation full survey results.
To book your presentation or request the white paper contact the AMAA via email: email@example.com.
Date: 15 May 2017